About “Bibliographic Database of Japanese Language Research”
- Types and sizes of databases
- Data: Additions and updates
- Links to files with the text of articles
- On articles and books in the catalogue
- Bibliographic Database: List of journals by title
- Holdings of journals and books featuring articles
- Conditions of use
- Office responsible
- Contact for inquiries
1. Types and sizes of databases
The “Bibliographic Database of Japanese Language Research” catalogues books and articles on Japanese language studies and Japanese language education. As of November 2017 there are catalogue entries for approximately 226,000 items, including the following databases.
- Article database
- Journal database (articles published in academic journals and university bulletins and serials: As of November 2017, about 188,000 items)
- Collection of papers database (individual articles from collection of papers and proceedings: As of November 2017, about 15,000 items)
- Book database (Books: As of November 2017, about 23,000 items)
2. Data: Additions and updates
Additions to and updates of the data are carried out about 4 times per year. Additions of new data are marked with year/month (e.g. “2017.05”) in the update column. As additions are made they are announced on the top page. As journals and books are received into the holdings of the Research Library, the work of cataloguing, classifying and digitalizing is carried out. At present the most recent entries are works published in May 2017, but please note that it is not the case that all works of earlier publication have been entered into the catalogue.
3. Links to files with the text of articles
As of November 2017, the catalogue provides links to pdf files with the text of articles in university academic repositories and the journals 『国語学』, “NINJAL Project Review,” and “NINJAL Research Papers.” There are about 20,000 entries with links. Please click the 「本文表示」 (“Display text”) buttons for items in the list display screen or the details display screen.
4. On articles and books in the catalogue
The articles listed in this catalogue are articles concerning Japanese language studies and Japanese language education that have been published in 1950 or later. The catalogue reflects the data in the “Japanese Language Studies Annual Survey and Bibliography” 『国語年鑑』 and the 『日本語教育年鑑』 which were of late published by NINJAL, and also data which has been added subsequently.
The data on the Journal database is based on the data in the “Comprehensive Catalogue of Research on Japanese Language Studies,” comprising the data from issue 1954 to issue 1985 of the “Japanese Language Studies Annual Survey and Bibliography” 『国語年鑑』 which was digitalized as a result of the “Project to Publish a Comprehensive Catalogue of Research on Japanese Language Studies” conducted jointly between NINJAL and the Society for Japanese Language Studies 「国語学会」 (presently the Society for Japanese Linguistics 「日本語学会」) to mark the 40th anniversary of the founding of the Association, adding to this the data from issue 1986 to issue 1991. Furthermore, with regard to journal articles concerning Japanese language education, the data is based on the database version of the “Index of Articles relating to Japanese Language Education” (「日本語教育関係論文検索」) which comprises data from the “Japanese Language Education Annual Survey,” and the “List of publications by the Society for Japanese Language Education 1980-1998” (materials internal to NINJAL) (『日本語教育年鑑』及び『日本語教育学会誌・機関誌掲載論文等文献一覧1980年～1998年 (国立国語研究所内部資料) 』).
After unifying these two databases in January 2011, we have been adding new data periodically. As for kinds of data, the articles from the “Japanese Language Studies Annual Survey and Bibliography” consist mainly of items published after 1950, but with regard to Japanese language education, the catalogue includes articles dating from the 1960.
With regard to data on the Collection of Papers database, it is based on information available in the 1994-2009 issues of the “Japanese Language Studies Annual Survey and Bibliography”. Since those data were incorporated into the catalogue in 2012, data has been added subsequently.
With regard to data on the Book database, we have made this newly available as of May 2016. Based on the items in the 1994-2009 issues of the “Japanese Language Studies Annual Survey and Bibliography,” new data are being added periodically.
With regard to the data made available in the “Comprehensive Catalogue of Research on Japanese Language Studies,” there are cases where, depending on the date, essays and articles on peripheral subjects are included. There are also items which have been excluded when basic bibliographic information is insufficient for making identification. Please be aware of these points when using the catalogue.
5. Bibliographic Database: List of journals by title
For a list of the journals and university bulletins in the catalogue, please refer to the “Bibliographic Database: List of journals by title” (pdf). This lists the data from 1985 onward, which follow a set standard for cataloguing and contain few irregularities. For any entry for a journal or bulletin for which at least 1 link to an article exists, the corresponding cell in the “PDF” column will be marked with “○.”
6. Holdings of journals and books featuring articles
The Research Library at NINJAL has in its holdings almost all of the journals and books in which articles appear. The Research Library receives yearly the following numbers of items: approx. 1,110 bulletins and journals as well as 1,700 books (as of April 2017 the total holdings amount to approx. 5,870 bulletins and journals, and 152,940 books).
In this database, items for which there are no holdings will show a “-” in the corresponding cell of the “Research Library Request Number” (「研究図書室請求記号」) column on the details display screen.
7. Conditions of use
Conditions of use for the “Bibliographic Database” are as follows.
- The National Institute for Japanese Language and Linguistics retains the copyright for the “Bibliographic Database.”
- Those who wish to use the “Bibliographic Database” for commercial purposes need to make an agreement with the National Institute for Japanese Language and Linguistics.
- With regard to the use of the “Bibliographic Database,” in the event of any commission of fraud or unlawful activities, the Director-General of the National Institute for Japanese Language and Linguistics (hereafter, the “Director-General”) is entitled to take steps to discontinue that use, to prevent fraud, etc.
- If there is damage caused to this Database, etc., through fraud or unlawful activities, the Director-General is entitled to demand action to restore the Database, etc., to its original condition, or to demand compensation for damages.
- The Director-General stipulates other terms concerning the use of the Database separately.
8. Office responsible
The Bibliographic Group of the Center for Research Resources at the National Institute for Japanese Language and Linguistics is responsible for the production of the “Bibliographic Database of Japanese Language Research.”
9. Contact for inquiries
For inquiries concerning the Database, please fill out the inquiry form.