Call for papers
There are four deadlines for submission (the 10th day of March, June, September, and December) every year.
Publications dates correspond to submission deadlines roughly as follows:
- Submissions made by the 10th of March and 10th of June will feature in the January edition of the following year.
- Submissions made by the 10th of September and 10th of December will feature in the July edition of the following year.
Note that in actual practice publication may not follow this schedule exactly, as requirements differ according to the level of completion of the manuscript, its review, and the execution of copyediting.
For those who wish to submit a manuscript, please submit your manuscript after reading through the latest version of the “Guidelines for Manuscript Submission for the Journal ‘NINJAL Research Papers’” [ PDF | 182KB ], and send your “manuscript submission” and “’NINJAL Research Papers’ Manuscript Submission Cover Letter” to the Editing Committee.
If there is relevant data, it shall be submitted with the manuscript, and include the “outline of relevant data.” If necessary, a readme file can be attached.
Contact address for submissions and inquiries can be found at the bottom of this page.
The “Guidelines for Manuscript Submission for the Journal ‘NINJAL Research Papers,’” the “‘NINJAL Research Papers’ Paper Template,” and “‘NINJAL Research Papers’ Manuscript Submission Cover Letter” can be downloaded by clicking the links below:
- Guidelines for Manuscript Submission for the Journal “NINJAL Research Papers” [ PDF | 182KB ] (revised June 9 2021)
- “NINJAL Research Papers” Paper Template [ Word | 65KB ]
- “NINJAL Research Papers” Manuscript Submission Cover Letter [ Word | 52KB ]
“NINJAL Research Papers” Manuscript Submission Cover Letter [ PDF | 216KB ]
The Japanese versions of these files are available on the "論文募集" page.
Guidelines for Manuscript Submission (revised June 9 2021) (extract)
In order to promote research activities, the dissemination of research results, and the training of early-career researchers at the National Institute for Japanese Language and Linguistics (hereafter, “NINJAL”), this Research Institute publishes online two issues of the journal “NINJAL Research Papers” per fiscal year (in principle, once in July and once in January).
2. Qualifications for submission
At the time of submission, satisfaction of any of the following descriptions qualifies an applicant to submit. However, for joint authorships, the principle author must satisfy at least one of the descriptions.
(1) Research and Academic Staff at NINJAL
(2) Invited Scholar, Adjunct Researcher, Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Visiting Researcher, Project Collaborator participating in a Collaborative Research Project (In the case of Adjunct Researchers and Postdoctoral Research Fellows, please secure the permission of either the leader of the collaborative research project in which you are participating, the representative of the department with which you are affiliated, or the person in charge of receiving you before making a submission for publication. In the case of Visiting Researchers who submit, please secure the permission of your Host Academic. In the case of Project Collaborators who submit, please secure the permission of the Leader of the project in which you are participating.)
(3) Emeritus Professors of NINJAL
(4) Other individuals that the NINJAL Research Papers Editorial Board (hereafter, “the Editorial Board”) recognizes as qualified
N.B., Those satisfying descriptions (1) or (2) above who retire or complete the term of their contract shall remain qualified for a period of 5 years thereafter. However, that period begins at the end of the year of termination in the case of mid-year retirement or contract completion.
3. Period for submission
The deadlines for submission of manuscripts are on the 10th day of March, June, September, and December every year.
4. Contents of the paper
(1) Submissions are restricted to unpublished, original manuscripts only. It is prohibited to submit manuscripts that are under submission to other journals.
(2) As long as the contents of the submission are in accordance with the purposes for which NINJAL was established, there are no restrictions on either the methods or the analysis of the theories, descriptions, surveys, or experiments therein. However, contributors who satisfy the description in paragraph (2) of article 2 are restricted to content that is related to contents or research results handled during their period of employ or residence.
(3) In principle, Research Academic Staff, Adjunct Researchers, and Postdoctoral Research Fellows who submit are to make a presentation at a NINJAL Salon and reflect that feedback in their manuscripts. In addition, if the content of the paper reflects the content or results of the Collaborative Research Project, in order to make this clear, they are required to include in the Acknowledgments a line of text of the following form: “The (Section ○○ of this) manuscript represents the research results of the NINJAL collaborative research project ‘○○’ (project leader: ○○□□) ”.
(4) In principle, Project Collaborators who submit are to make a presentation at a research conference of the Collaborative Research Project in which they participate and reflect the feedback received there in their manuscripts. Project Collaborators who submit are restricted to research contents or research results of their Collaborative Research Projects. Furthermore, in order to indicate this clearly, they are required to include in the Acknowledgements a line of text of the following form: “The (Section ○○ of this) manuscript represents the research results of the NINJAL collaborative research project ‘○○’ (project leader: ○○□□) ”.
(5) Visiting Researchers who submit are restricted to research contents or research results related to the research topic addressed during their residence. Furthermore, in order to indicate this clearly, they are required to include in the Acknowledgements a line of text of the following form: “This manuscript represents the research results obtained during the author’s residence as a visiting researcher at the National Institute for Japanese Language and Linguistics from MM/YYYY to MM/YYYY addressing the research topic ‘○○’”.
(6) Interim reports and reports on data supplementing previously published papers are permitted.
5. Category of the submission
Submissions are to be of the category “Academic paper,” excluding research notes and literature reviews.
6. Format of the manuscript
(1) The language of the text shall be either Japanese or English.
(2) The manuscript should be on A4 or letter size paper, typed on one side of the page only.
(3) For English text, format your document so that a page with no figures, no tables and no example sentences contains about 550 words. The length of the manuscript, including figures, tables, references, and abstract, shall in principle not exceed 30 pages.
(4) For Japanese text, manuscript shall be with horizontal lines, 43 kanji per line and 36 lines per page with font at 10.5 pt. (Vertical lines may be permitted at the discretion of the Editorial Board: 2 columns with 30 kanji and 24 lines per column.) The length of the manuscript, including figures, tables, references, and abstract, shall in principle not exceed 30 pages....
(5) Figures, images, graphs, etc. in the manuscript will be published in black and white. However, in cases where the Editorial Board has deemed it absolutely necessary, it may be possible to publish in color. In this case, sufficient attention should be paid to the variety of colors used, and efforts should be made to create figures that are easy to understand either in color or in black and white.
(8) Data used or explained in the manuscript may be submitted with the manuscript as relevant data....
7. Method of submission
(1) The manuscript and relevant data are to be submitted to the Editorial Board either by post or by e-mail....
The author shall understand the following points to obtain upon submission of a manuscript.
・That the copyright ownership of each manuscript resides with the author(s) of that manuscript.
・That the author(s) license the exercise of the rights of reproduction and public transmission to NINJAL.
・All other points set out in the document “Kokuritu Kokugo Kenkyuusyo ni okeru hensyuu tyosaku-butu no toriatukai ni tuite [On the treatment of edited and authored materials at the National Institute for Japanese Language and Linguistics]”.
Furthermore, the author is responsible for any copyright processing necessitated by the reprinting of illustrations featured in other written works, and for licensing by related parties with regard to the use or publication of data.
9. Acceptance and rejection
The acceptance or rejection of a manuscript is decided by the Editorial Board upon peer review.
11. Payment for manuscripts
Appendix: Details concerning formatting, the use of color in figures, charts, etc., and licenses for relevant data.
Contact for submissions and inquiries
NINJAL Research Papers Editorial Board
Inter-University Research Institute Corporation, National Institutes for the Humanities,
National Institute for Japanese Language and Linguistics
10-2 Midori-cho, Tachikawa City, Tokyo, 190-8561 JAPAN
Make your submission to the following e-mail address: papers-submission[at]ninjal.ac.jp
Make inquiries to the following e-mail address: papers[at]ninjal.ac.jp
Please change [at] to @.