【Research Library Closing for the declaration of a state of emergency】
- To prevent coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, Research Library is temporarily closed until the declaration of the cancellation of a state of emergency by the Japanese government.
We apologize for your inconvenience and ask for your understanding and cooperation.
The Research Library at the Inter-University Research Institute Corporation, National Institutes for the Humanities, "National Institute for Japanese Language and Linguistics," collects and stores mainly research materials and linguistic resources concerning Japanese language studies and the Japanese language, as well as related fields such as Japanese language education, linguistics, etc.
This is the only library specialized in the Japanese language and linguistics in Japan.
- Open Monday through Friday
Hours: 9:30 to 17:00
- Closed on Saturdays, Sundays, public holidays, the summer vacation (3 days in August), the New Year holidays (December 28 - January 4), and the last Friday of each month.
The library may be temporarily closed as necessity demands.
- Library Calendar
Information for Visitors - Visiting the Library
Search & Find
- NINJAL Research Library OPAC
- List of E-Journals (on-site only)
- List of E-Books (on-site only)
- Cambridge University Press (Updated November 2021) [ Excel | 25KB ]
- De Gruyter Mouton (Updated November 2021) [ Excel | 37KB ]
- John Benjamins (Updated November 2021) [ Excel | 30KB ]
- Oxford Scholarship Online (Updated September 2021) [ Excel | 62KB ]
- Oxford Reference Library (Updated May 2019) [ Excel | 13KB ]
- Oxford Handbooks Online (Updated March 2021) [ Excel | 28KB ]
- Routledge (Updated September 2021) [ Excel | 61KB ]
- Springer (Updated September 2021) [ Excel | 46KB ]
- University Press Scholarship Online (Updated November 2021) [ Excel | 31KB ]
- Wiley (Updated September 2021) [ Excel | 27KB ]
- Search on other websites
- Bibliographic Database of Japanese Language Research
- Collection of the Research Library for Study of the Japanese Language History (Japanese only)
- Academic Repository of the National Institute for Japanese Language and Linguistics (Japanese only)
- Linguistics Abstracts Online (on-site only)
- ProQuest - Linguistics and Language Behavior Abstracts [LLBA] (on-site only)
- Oxford Bibliographies (on-site only)
*Available subject : Linguistics
- Oxford Research Encyclopedias (on-site only)
*Available subject : Linguistics
- De Gruyter - Treasury of Linguistic Maps Online (on-site only)
- De Gruyter - Enhanced Electronic Grammars Online (on-site only)
*Available titles will have a green box with a check mark.
- Japan Knowledge Lib (on-site only)
*This database can be accessed only ten persons at a time.
- Cognitive Linguistics Bibliography (on-site only)
Holdings Number of Items
- Books: 156,269
(in Japanese 124,029, in foreign languages 32,240)
- Journals: 5,906
(in Japanese 5,381, in foreign languages 525)
Tojo bunko (dialects), Ota bunko (dialects), Hoshina bunko (language issues), Kenbo bunko (dictionaries), Kanamozikai bunko (characters/notation), Fujimura bunko (phonology), Hayashi bunko (Japanese Linguistics), Koshimizu bunko (pedagogical studies of the Japanese Language), Nakamura bunko (Japanese Linguistics), etc.
Interlibrary Loan Services
We are members of NACSIS-ILL system of the National Institute of Informatics.
* If you are affiliated with a university, you may request a copy or a book through your university library and receive the copy or the book by mail. The procedure is different at each university. For details, contact the library at your university.